2011-03-30

Out on a limb: Two minute warning


First, let me introduce a new topic header, “Out on a limb.” Again and anon I will utilize this header to indicate I am going to go way beyond my depth (think Marianas Trench) by proposing theoretical vectors which are, at least to my knowledge, new or different. Since I already have ventured thusly in one prior post, on 2011-02-02, I have altered that header in keeping with this new approach.

Now, to once again go where angels fear to tread.

Seems to me that time, per se, gets short shrift in the whole “spacetime” business with which astrophysics busies itself. And in quantum physics, at least the more popular sources that I skim, time seems hardly an issue at all.

In astrophysics, the main concerns of time study appear to be centered on three areas: searching, astronomically, back in time toward the big bang; how time “slows down” at high velocities; and in the question of time travel, though the latter seems more of a populist sideline. In quantum mechanics, time…well, truth be told, I don’t remember seeing it mentioned as a significant factor; however, I fault my literature review more than anything else.

Still, I went so far as to read Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time. In my estimation, it dealt much more with space and matter than with time. In all, physicists seem scads more preoccupied with issues like dark matter, the cause of gravity or superstring theory. Time may be a factor, but it seems almost incidental.

Here’s what I think: time doesn’t exist.

(To be continued.)

[?]

No comments:

Post a Comment