2024-03-09

A man way after midnight

 A dozen or so years ago I discovered the music of ABBA and, wanting to know more about the group whose music I was enjoying, I looked them up on Wikipedia. There I discovered two facts which particularly surprised me.

First, that they were Swedish, yet the songs I enjoyed were in unaccented English. Second, that they had broken up thirty years before I'd even heard of them, nearly twenty years before Wikipedia was even a thing. It wasn't as if their music hadn't been popular everywhere on the planet, including the US. Yet, somehow, I had managed to be conscious for the better part of several decades and not have glommed onto their music. It was a real stranger-in-a-strange-land sensation.

Yet here I am again. Thanks to theoretical physicist and science philosopher,  Dr. Sabine Hossenfelder, I find out that string theory, of which I've barely become aware in recent years, has been losing credibility since the mid twenty-teens.

I feel like I've hurried to catch a train only to find the station torn down and the tracks pulled up for scrap.


[?]



No comments:

Post a Comment